[CentOS] Changing Console Display Settings

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sat May 13 21:27:36 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 16:45 -0400, John Hinton wrote:
> Hmm.. after all these years I actually have a monitor on my desk beside
> me going through a couple of KVMs to our racks. So, I hope to make more
> use of direct console connections instead of shelling in.
>
> But, now.... the text has always been huge and the interface clunky. And
> after a bit of googling around, and file searching on the system, I
> can't seem to find where or if there is a way to change the default
> console display settings. I sure would be nice to go to a higher
> resolution so to speak.
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction on where to look?

From rom vague long-ago memories... Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) and/or
framebuffer? IIRC, it'll be need a kernel config, so you might need to
look at the source or look at some of the add on repositories. I *think*
I actually did that in a long-ago LFS implementation. Was neat. But the
feature needs to be turned on in the kernel, IIRC? And then a config and
boot setup.

A quick google for "framebuffer kernel source vga" returns some entries
that make me think it's still available.shows lots of entries. Maybe
your answer is there?

> Note, these systems are all server installs.. no stinkin' GUIs. ;)
>
> Thanks,
> John Hinton
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH