[CentOS] PDF viewer?

albi albi at scii.nl
Mon May 15 13:22:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:13:41 +0200
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:

> Selon Barry Brimer <barry.brimer at bigfoot.com>:
>

> > I find acroread to be quite usable, however before Adobe released
> > acroread 7, I was using xpdf which comes with CentOS.
>
> Does acroread use fonts under /usr/share/fonts? I just installed some
> TTF fonts (cannibalized c:\windows\fonts directory)
> under /usr/share/fonts, ran fc-cache -f -v, and suddenly, my PDF's
> all look nice:oD Looks like that was the problem.

one other thing (which i learned at a workshop) is that, although
acroread is closed-source software (which i personally prefer not to
use when not needed), acroread will give you the least problems with
printing

this is due to the lack of development for certain pdf-formats in all
the other open-source alternatives

one more thing is that acroread 7.x tries "to call home" in some
unreadable format, if you don't like this the easiest solution is to
disable the plugins (or don't install them)

--
grtjs, albi
gpg-key: lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~albi/gpg.asc | gpg --import