[CentOS] Basic SAMBA setup

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Mon May 15 15:30:40 UTC 2006

Hi,

I want to setup a simple SAMBA file server, in its most simple configuration
first, and then fine-tune that gradually. I've never worked with SAMBA before,
so I based myself on Carla Schroder's "Linux Cookbook", chapter XX: SAMBA.

Here's what I did, following the step-by-step instructions and reading the
explanations as to what-does-what:

# mkdir -m 777 /shares

Rename /etc/samba/smb.conf to something else (old.sambaconfig) and then edit a
new smb.conf from scratch, which looks like this:

--8<--------------------
[global]
  workgroup = workgroup
  netbios name = windbag
  server string = Anonymous local file server
  security = share
  browseable = yes
  hosts allow = 192.168.1.

[share1]
  path = /shares
  comment = Test files
  read only = No
  guest ok = Yes

I tested this configuration with testparm, and it looked OK.

Next I restarted SAMBA (service smb restart) and checked the status (service smb
status).

After this I tried (on the same machine) to connect to my file server:

$ smbclient -L windbag

But there I got a "Failed to connect".

Now what?

Niki Kovacs