[CentOS] vsftpd: users can delete files they don't possess

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue May 16 16:57:45 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote on Tue, 16 May 2006 16:59:18 +0100:

> This sounds like a Unix feature, not a bug.  If the user has write
> rights to the directory, he can delete anything in the directory no
> matter who owns the file.

Oh, well, now that you say it I remember that remotely from "Unix school".
I'd completely phased that out.

Is there a way to achieve different behavior without using acl extensions?
My objective is that I want users *not* to be able to delete certain
files/directories in their home directories. It seems I can achieve this
partly by putting files in a directory they don't own. They then cannot
delete the files in the directory and therefore cannot delete the
directory. As soon as the directory is empty they can delete it.

Kai