[CentOS] problems with kickstart %post and python/snack gui

Brian Gehrich

brian-lists-centos_at_centos_dot_org at rustproof.org
Tue May 16 19:04:18 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I'm trying to migrate from Fedora Core 4 to a more stable linux deployment
of Centos 4.3.  I'm using kickstart to do an automated installation of
minimal packages and then doing configuration in the %post section.  I do
this by calling serveral custom system-config-local-* scripts that I have
written along with system-config-network-tui (aka netconfig).

The problem that I am having is that these scripts display properly, but
do not accept input from the console.  When anything is typed, it goes
directly to the screen (including escape characters for arrows, escape,
etc...).  I've tried both a minimal installation and a "everything"
installation and the results are the same.  If I run the same command
chrooted to /mnt/sysimage from the tty1 shell it works properly.

Here are the relevant sections of my kickstart config...

  %post
  set -x
  ## post install script ##

  ## setup the environment ##
  export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  export LC_ALL=C
  export TERM=linux

  ## switch to tty3 ##
  /usr/bin/chvt 3
  exec < /dev/tty3 > /dev/tty3

  ## configure network on eth0 ##
  /usr/sbin/netconfig

  ## switch back to tty1 ##
  /usr/bin/chvt 1

  ## end post install script ##

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.
FYI, this works fine on Fedora Core 4...

Thanks,
Brian