[CentOS] G4-400mhz enough for CentOS 4.3?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed May 17 23:17:27 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 16:47 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
>> It's that time again.  I'm stuck with a bunch of older Powermac G4's
>> that I either need to repurpose or give the heave ho.  I've not tried
>> CentOS on Mac hardware before.  Would the following config be suitable
>> for a (somewhat slow) workstation?

The CentOS 4.3/ppc is not released as yet - we've run into a few issues
with upstream patches and ppc-smp kernels ( upstream has no ppc distro..
) We *should* have something out soon'ish though.

> Before with same setup but w/an IBM 6x86-2 (old Cyrix-II) 300MHz, same
> build was appx 10 hours.
>
> So, a your MAC at 400MHz should do fine... at least for folks like me.

the G4-400Mhz will give you about the same performance level as a p-III
/ 800Mhz  ... or thereabouts. More Ram will help ... 256megs can get
very tight, very fast.

the present build machine thats putting together the CentOS/ppc distro
is a G4-450Mhz