[CentOS] K3b, cdrdao and chmod +s

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Thu May 18 09:52:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

I just managed to get a fairly coherent configuration for our public "salle
multimedia" with CentOS 4.3. I used the rpmforge and the KBS repos for
additional software.

There's only one soft that I had to rebuild: K3B. The included version's
translation is just one big mess. I remember from my Slack days not so long ago
that K3B is rather easy to build, so I downloaded the source from the K3B site,
built and compiled with checkinstall, and everything went smooth.

K3B's vanilla version requires cdrdao to be installed. I found a RHEL4 RPM on
rpm.pbone.net and installed it.

On startup, K3B performs various checks about the system configuration, and as
it was to be expected, it suggested to run cdrdao with root rights. I knew this
from Slack, so I just did a chmod +s /usr/bin/cdrdao.

Now I'm puzzled about something. In the Gnome Terminal, /usr/bin/cdrdao with the
new rights (-rwsr-sr-x) appears as a red block, reminding the entrance of the
"Nuclear weapons" block in an old James Bond movie.

Was that chmod +s a no-no? Will it eat my three cats?

Niki Kovacs