[CentOS] CentOS 4 and SATA RAID

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Fri May 19 12:31:17 UTC 2006

There have been several threads about SATA in the past weeks and the
problems with it. I'm still not clear, though, if SATA in general is a
problem or just specific functionality or hardware.
Do I understand correctly that "mainboard built-in" SATA RAID is a nono on
CentOS? That I would need a third-party RAID card for this? What about
SATA non-RAID or SATA2? Is SATA supposed to work in general or do the
disks need to run in IDE mode? Do I generally need drivers from the
hardware (mainboard, chipset) vendor or is "normal" SATA supposed to work
with the packaged drivers?

Kai