[CentOS] mysql : Access denied for user

kenkensmile at netscape.net

Sat May 20 03:23:21 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am having a problem with mysql. I set up root password

set password for root at localhost=password('xxxxxxxxx');
set password for root@'xxx.yyyy.com'=password('yyyyyyyy');

after that I tried to log in, but mysql says

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
I guess that I had the right password.

My friend told me that I might have used a wrong password, so I set up
new password for root.
However, mysql says the exactly same thing!!
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

I was not sure about the error, so I decided to remove mysql and
deleted /var/lib/mysql.
After that I reinstalled mysql and set up mysql again.
However, mysql again says
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
I am 100000% sure that I am using the right passward for root

I am quite puzzled by the error and need your help.
Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?
I am using CentOS4.3. Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Joe