[CentOS] mysql : Access denied for user

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sat May 20 16:49:26 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 10:04 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 08:41 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:

> > > I've seen this cause many problems with other tools as well (not just
> > > mysql).  I always thought it was wrong to include the actual hostname
> > > in the localhost line, and it's one of the first thing I change after
> > > building a system.  Does any one else think it's a good idea to
> > > include the hostname in this line?
> >
> > If you mean
> >
> >     127.0.0.1 mynodename ...
> >
> > instead of
> >
> >    127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
> >
> > for example?
> >
> > From rom *everything* I have encountered and read (from knowledgeable
> > folks?), only "localhost" and closely related should be there. Your
> > "real" node name should be on a line that assigns it's real IP address.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> The problem is ... if you have DHCP ... you need the name of the machine
> in the same line, as your IP address changes
> <snip sig>

[hardtolove at wlmlfs08 ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

This is my workstation behind an IPCop DHCP server. I have detected no
problesm, but I'm only running typical workstation stuff. So there may
be some apps that don't work?

This is on my IPCop firewall/gateway, which gets its IP from my cable
co. DHCP server.
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

Again, no problems. But this node *only runs IPCop and associated (https
for admin, caching DNS, ntp client and server for the rest of my net).

But it appears from this and my past experience that mature applications
in a networking env are OK. If one has no network...?

I'd be glad to try a couple things, if they are not to expensive in
terms of change or time and report back if it helps anyone.

--
Bill