[CentOS] Load Balancing

Michael Metz [SpeedPartner] metz at speedpartner.de
Tue May 23 15:06:20 UTC 2006

Hi,

Mace Eliason schrieb:
> The question is load balancing.  We antisipate the potential for the
> system to receive 500,000 requests/ day with in the next year.  We want
> to plan for that extra load now as we start the project.  What would you
> suggest for setups for multiple servers for redundancy and load balancing?
For a customer of ours we're managing a dedicated cluster with about
10.000.000 Hits/Day hitting the webservers (currently 5 running
CentOS/LAMP).
Loadbalancing is done by a set of reverse squid's acting as caches for
static content also (round about 70% of all hits are handled by squid
without bothering the webservers).

We're quite happy with this setup at the moment. By now Database-Load is
handled by only one DB-Server (with manual failover).

>  [...]
> I have also thought of just looking for a hosting company that offers
> load balancing servers and not worry about it but we like to have control.
In my opinion this is only a matter of negotiation with your hosting
company - but sure this is dependent on how much control you want to
have ;-)

--
Greetings from "good old germany"
  Michael Metz

SpeedPartner GmbH
Neukirchener Str. 57, 41470 Neuss
Tel.: 02137 / 91666-2, Fax: 02137 / 91666-1
E-Mail: info at speedpartner.de