[CentOS] Load Balancing

Dan Trainor dan.trainor at gmail.com
Tue May 23 17:38:31 UTC 2006

Chris Mauritz wrote:

> Mace Eliason wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are starting a new project, and are trying to decide the best way
>> to proceed.  We want to setup a LAMP configuration using Centos,
>> something we have been doing in the past with great success.
>>
>> The question is load balancing.  We antisipate the potential for the
>> system to receive 500,000 requests/ day with in the next year.  We
>> want to plan for that extra load now as we start the project.  What
>> would you suggest for setups for multiple servers for redundancy and
>> load balancing?
>>
>> I have setup MySQL replication and that works fine but what about the
>> rest of the system.  I know it is quite simple to setup with windows
>> 2003 server.
>>
>> Would a cluster be the way to go?  Ideally we would like 2-? severs
>> setup that are all identical and sharing the load as need be, and if
>> one fails users would notice nothing.
>>
>> I have also thought of just looking for a hosting company that offers
>> load balancing servers and not worry about it but we like to have
>> control.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions
>

> Perhaps this will help get you started:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/high_availability_loadbalanced_apache_cluster
>
> Cheers,

Hi -

FWIW, I've been toying around with this as well.  Right now I'm trying
to decide which shared storage mechanism we'll be using for the nodes
themselves.  We need to keep the data consistant across 10+ machines,
which will be serving this content.

If this hasn't been mentioned before, I've been using LVS for a while,
with a whole lot of success.  It's smart, scalable, and works quite
well.  If you're looking for an open-source load balancing and
distribution system, I highly suggest you investigate this.

If anyone wouldn't mind chiming in with some ideas, I'd greatly
appreciate it.  I'm sure others would, too,

Thanks!-
-dant