[CentOS] CentOS 4.x - Multiple gateways

Joshua Gimer jgimer at gmail.com
Fri May 26 12:30:23 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've done some work on this a few month ago at my other job, and basically
the solution lies in iproute2 commands.

First you need to create a rule and assign that traffic to a different table
than the main table. Then you can easily add a default route to that new
table.

so it would look like this

ip rule add from 192.168.1.0/24 table X

check /etc/iproute2/rt_tables if you want to make aliases like eth1 eth2
eth3
it will get easier if you automate this thing :)

After that you set a default route to this new table.

ip route add default via 1.2.3.4 table X

Once you have this done and working it's a matter of getting your
dhclient of pppoe to do this for you as soon as ip changes.

for pppoe create a /etc/ppp/ip-up.local script.
for dhclient stuff you need to look in /sbin/dhclient-script script to find
out how it will execute what's in /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
or /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks

It's quite useful and for me it did turn out to work nicely. I just had to
create some sort of master script that would take decisions on what's going
on with my gateways :) It was pretty fun to work on that. I hope this helps
you out.

Later,
Charles

On 5/26/06, Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:

> Tom Brown wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On a multihomed box how can i set different gateways for each NIC?
> > Setting them in the ifcfg-ethx does not seem to make any difference to
> > the routing?
> >
> > thanks
>
> Try creating routing tables per NIC, populating those tables and
> creating ip rules to lookup the respective table. This means you need to
> identify which NIC the packets belong to. You can try adding rules to
> the mangle PREROUTING chain of netfilter to mark the packets based on
> their source ip. Then the ip rules can instruct the kernel to lookup the
> proper routing table depending on the firewall mark.
>
> man ip, man iptables, http://linux-ip.net/html/routing-tables.html and
> http://linux-ip.net/html/tools-ip-route.html

Thx
Joshua Gimer