[CentOS] Do I need large Cyrus DB files?

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri May 26 15:35:28 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 11:09 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 11:02 -0400, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> > On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:55:50AM -0400, William L. Maltby enlightened us:
>
> > ><snip>
> <snip>

> > Cyrus is used to *serve* POP3/IMAP from your machine. If you aren't checking
> > mail that is delivered to your box, you're not using it and can most likely
> > get rid of it.
> >
> > If you're running a mail server, then it's usually useful to get the mail
> > back off, in which case you could use Cyrus, Dovecot, or any number of other
> > POP3/IMAP servers.
> >
> > Hope that clarifies...
>
> Yes thir! In my prev LFS incarnation I ran my MX in-house. Will end up
> there someday with this CentOS stuff, but so much to learn and do first.

Like... if I do a yum remove of cyrus-imapd.i386 and cyrus-sasl.i386 it
wants to take 205 additional packages with it on the "deep 6" ride. Most
are not what I would have guessed had any affiliation. Printre config,
KDE stuff, Gnome stuff...

Anyway, I decided that I'd leave those two and just remove the devel and
other stuff *very* carefully.

It's hell when you decide to learn this stuff and do a full-blown
install so you'll have what you need when you needed it and then can't
get rid of what you (think) you don't need when you don't.. well, joking
of course.

--
Bill