[CentOS] New member, new OS, old Tao user

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Fri May 26 16:05:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Steve Campbell wrote:

> Mr. Parsley, the main man at the Tao Linux group, has announced that he will
> no longer be able to do his thing for Tao Linux.

Where has that been announced ???

> Just recently, I had
> decided to investigate CentOS 4 before his announcement, and liked a lot of
> what I saw. Due to the Tao announcement, I have decided that CentOS will
> "have" to be the OS for my company in the future. Hence, my new membership
> to this list.

Welcome ...

> I would like any opionions any of you may have to offer, and perhaps, some
> suggestions on migration to CentOS 3.7 from Tao 1 Update 6.
>
> I have usually applied updates only when needed on my current servers. Some
> cannot be updated due to the commercial applications being ran on them. So
> my first concern is the lateral migration to make CentOS 3 work on my
> current Tao 1 machines.

The migration to CentOS 3 should be fairly seamless. As you say - the
package source is the same.

We need to work out a migration mechanism, but mainly it will involve
changes to config files. We would obviously like to do some testing to
make sure that there are no nasties lurking.

One issue may be if you have used the 'protectbase' extra that tao added
to yum.  We do have a version of yum 2.4 ready for CentOS 3.x , that will
provide equivalent functionality (and lots more) - which we will expedite
into testing.

Regards

Lance Davis

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.