[CentOS] Centos and Software RAID

Raymond Lillard rlillard at sonic.net
Sat May 27 01:37:11 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 16:56, Barry L. Kline wrote:
>
> Note that unless it has changed recently, SATA drives don't pass
> errors up to the software raid layer correctly.  If a drive
> dies it doesn't get kicked out as it should.

Would you please elaborate as this seems to run
counter to my experience?

I have had 3 drive fail events with software raid (md)
tools and SATA drives in the last year.  The drive was
taken off-line and I as the sysadm received a warning
message via email.

I downed the systems (after-hours) and replaced
the failed drive. (These machines don't have hot-
swappable h/w)  No problems were encountered.

Two of these systems are running a WBEL-3 and a 2.4
kernel and haven't been updated in a while.  The other
was a CentOS-3, same story.

Regards
Ray