[CentOS] Terminal Server/File Server Set up

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 31 04:48:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 22:56, Administrator One wrote:
> Would like to know whether there  exist a clear simple walk through to
> set CentOS 4 up as a Terminal Server or in the alternate, as a file and
> print server. I'm new but have googled but come up with some rather
> complicated issues. I trust someone can help on this forum.

Can you be more specific about what you'd like to do?  Do you
want to network-boot thin clients as terminals, connect other
machines already running X, or use vnc or nx connections - or
all of the above?  If you are starting from scratch, I'd
recommend installing the k12ltsp-modified version of Centos
instead of adding the features on yourself.  You can find
more info at: http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/ and the
version to download would be at:
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.2.3EL-32bit/iso/
(fedora-based versions are also available).

Also, on the file/print server side, do you want to share
files via NFS to other linux/unix boxes or via samba to
windows clients or both?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com