[CentOS] Three kernel RPMs at same time and yum error: "sem_post: Invalid argument"

Tue May 23 18:26:49 UTC 2006
M. Fioretti <mfioretti at mclink.it>

Greetings,

I just ran "yum update" on a remote 4.2 Centos install. Then I typed
"yum search some package" and got this error message repeating
continuously:

sem_post: Invalid argument

A search for this message revealed only these links:

http://www.linode.com/forums/archive/o_t/t_1898/centos4_installations_rpm_database_corruption.html

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1202

If I run the command to look for duplicated RPMs described in those
pages I get:

-bash-3.00# rpm -qa | sed 's/\([A-Za-z0-9]\)-[0-9].*$/\1/' | sort | uniq -d
kernel

As a matter of fact, I also get:

-bash-3.00# rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.9-11.EL
kernel-2.6.9-22.0.1.EL
kernel-2.6.9-34.EL

My question is, what is the best, safest way to fix the system?

The hack described in those pages doesn't seem (to me) to apply
directly to my case. Being the kernel involved, instead of normal
packages, I'm hesitant to try something that, as far as I know, may
bring this remote server in an unusable state.

Any help is appreciated.

Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 5 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

If children must grow able to leverage computers to meet their own
goals as free citizens, that's not possible with commercial software,
period. -- Ruben Safir