[CentOS] CentOS on Dell Inspiron 640m laptop

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Nov 1 04:43:45 UTC 2006

Ben wrote:
> I haven't got s2ram working. I think it has something to do with the
> SATA hard drive...

Hmmm...  I'm having suspend-to-ram problems with Linux in general (2.4.x
and 2.6.x kernels) for a long time on my old laptop.  In my case it
sound like the (IDE) hard drive does not spin up after return from
suspend (actually, it sounds like the drive spins up, and than
immediately spins down).  Of course without hard drive working, the
things get frozen quite fast (as soon as a page or two needs to be
fetched from the drive).  Does your problem sounds something like that too?

Under Windows, all worked fine.  Interesting thing is that under Windows
I can hear the drive spin up, than spin down, and than spin up again.
I'm just speculating, but it might be that first spin up/down is
controlled by BIOS, and that Windows spins up the drive again.  While
the Linux (wrongly) expects that the BIOS spun up the drive.

One thing that I attempted was to rebuild centosplus kernel with
BIOS-independent suspend support enabled (or at least I hope that was
what the option was).  But it failed to compile.