[CentOS] Apache 2.2X

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Thu Nov 2 22:49:43 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 12:39, Tim Uckun wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> I am trying to set up a rails+mongrel+mod_proxy_balance application.
> Unfortunately the stock apache install on centos is the 2.0 series
> which does not support mod_proxy_balance.  I could not find the 2.2X
> RPMs on dag or dries either.
>
> Is there a yummy way to upgrade to the 2.2 series of apache? I tried
> with the individual RMPS but no joy there due to comples web of
> dependencies.

I assume you mean the RPMs available from apache at
http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/binaries/rpm/i386/ and
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/rpm/i386/ ?

After removing all the stuff that depends on apache (mod_python, mod_ssl,
http_suexec, webalizer, subversion, etc.), the Apache supplied RPMs seem to
install fine.  Of course you wouldn't be using all the same patches and
configs from the CentOS rpm version, and there's no guarantee it will work
well with the provided libraries (it probably will provided they have all
their requires in the spec file correct).  If you don't need any
functionality out of Apache other than what you are putting in yourself
(rails, mongrel, mod_proxy_balance), this might work.

The other solution if there isn't a CentOS RPM out is to grab the SRPM for
httpd 2.2 from Apache, the SRPM for httpd 2.0 from CentOS, and try to try to
put the relevant good bits of the CentOS RPM spec file into the apache spec
file and build your own RPM.  Fairly daunting if you aren't familiar with the
build system (or if you are and the spec file is overly complex on either
end).  I wouldn't recommend this for something as complex as Apache...

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks