[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 and other software?

Dan Stoner dstoner at flmnh.ufl.edu
Fri Nov 3 21:46:52 UTC 2006

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I just installed CentOS 4.4 on my laptop, having good experience with
> Debian, Fedora Core 5, and RHEL4.   I really like 4.4's overall
> appearance (meshing of RHEL4 and FC5), but what I have yet to figure out
> is how to access repositories for applications that are not part of the
> default install, such as ncftp.   I invoked and updated yum, but it had
> no idea.

ncftp is out there somewhere, but as the other reply indicated, there
might be better options than ncftp.

<snip>

> Am I missing something with available packages?

For the packages that are not included with the core distro or extras
repos, I suggest adding the rpmforge repository:

   http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

Install and use the RHEL 4 repo for CentOS 4.

  Dan Stoner
  Network Administrator
  Florida Museum of Natural History
  University of Florida