[CentOS] Sluggish X session with Cygwin/X and gnome desktop

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Thu Nov 9 19:03:48 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 November 2006 00:07, Michael Velez wrote:
> I had the same issue using X forwarding with Cygwin/X and ssh.  I tried to
> compress the data going through the pipe (ssh has an option for that) and
> it improved somewhat, but X just sends a lot of data through.  However, now
> I have switched over to using VNC.  So I installed the UltraVNC client on
> my windows machine and used the existing vncserver on Centos 4.4.
>
> IF YOU THINK THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM and should you want to install the
> vncserver, I included, below, a procedures section to configure the VNC
> server, which I had written for my Home Linux Adminstration Guide.
> Installing the UltraVNC client on a windows machine is straightforward (you
> can get the installation package from sourceforge).
>
> However, I suggest you read up on VNC before following the instructions
> below.  For more info, 'man vncserver' and do a search for ultravnc on the
> net.  When using VNC from the public internet, I port forward VNC through
> an ssh tunnel.

NoMachine's FreeNX is another solution to this that's been discussed on the
list before, and there RPMs available in the extras repo.
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-August/050722.html

You get a more RDP-like connection (separate desktop than your console) if you
like, and SSH encryption be default.  The free edition server is available
free for Linux and Solaris, with clients for Linux, Solarix, Windows and Mac
OSX.

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks