[CentOS] Re: Using Synaptic with Cent OS 4.4

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Mon Nov 13 22:07:32 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 13:07 -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
>> Can Synaptic be used successfully on CentOS 4.4 instead of YumEx ? Are
>> there any issues using Synaptic with the CentOS 4.4 repositories ?
>>

> There is a version of apt and synaptic for i386 in the extras
> repository... however I would not recommend it.  There are many plugins
> for yum that work with yem/yumex that do not work for apt (fastest
> mirror, protectbase, etc.,)
>
> So, things like 3rd Party repos and the like become more dangerous in
> apt that with yum on CentOS.
>
> Also, apt is ONLY for 1386 distro as the version we have does not do
> multilib arches.

The reason I asked is because YumeEx 1.02 does not show the packages
which depend on a given package when I specify a package I want to
remove. In Synaptic when I specify that I want to remove a package I am
immediately shown the packages which depend on it and if I proceed to
remove it, Synaptic automatically removes those packages, but I can
choose to Cancel the removal immediately.

It may be that in YumEx, after adding a package to be removed to the
Queue, does prompt one about the other packages which depend on that
package and automatically removes when I process the Queue, letting me
back out of the removal once I am prompted, but I did not try it for
fear that I might remove a package needed by other packages.

In general I try to keep packages at a minimum for what I will actually
be using on a Linux system, and after an installation I go through the
packages installed and remove any extraneous ones. YumEx appears to make
this much harder than Synaptic. That is why I was hoping that I could
use Synaptic instead.