[CentOS] Re: Using Synaptic with Cent OS 4.4

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Tue Nov 14 06:57:26 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 November 2006 22:44, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> I could tell you about a machine where I used yum to remove a
> file and it's dependencies, didn't pay attention to the file list, and
> it tried to remove glibc ... and I can duplicate that same problem in
> apt.  (A machine will break part of the way though removing glibc and it
> is not pretty :P)

Were you working with an extremely lean system?  I would imagine glibc being
included in the removal list would trigger a whole slew of dependencies on
it's own removal, causing the list of what's to be removed to be quite big
(and therefore noticeable).  Or is it just assumed in most RPMs that glibc
will exist?

I know from experience in trying to get an install to the minimal set of RPMs
needed for an embedded system that the dependency list is a mess when you get
to the core set of RPMs (the minimal install size listed in the install
program is NOT the real minimum size for an install, many RPMs are included
due to unneeded dependencies).

Any chance in getting the procedure for reproducing this?  It has piqued my
interest.

--
- Kevan Benson
- A-1 Networks