[CentOS] Re: Java JDK on CentOS 4.4

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Thu Nov 16 00:43:04 UTC 2006

Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:
> we have been using the 64-bit and 32-bit java 1.4 and 1.5 .bin
> installers on Centos 4.3, 4.4 with very much success, so if you are
> looking to get the Java capabilities you might not need to search for an
> RPM per se.
>
> We keep a very bare machine (no centos java package, etc.) and have a
> whole step-by-step recipe for getting all the usual java webapps working
> with very little hassle...

Is there any particular procedure for installing the Java 1,5 on Sun's
site to CentOS 4.4 ? I see a Jpackage package called
Java-1.5.0-sun-compat but I have no idea what this is or how it is
supposed to be used.

Setting up Sun's Java latest 1.5.0 JDK on "that other OS whose name
shall not be mentioned" is a no-brainer so it is a bit disappointing
that it is more complicated on CentOS 4.4. But maybe it is really as
easy as downloading the appropriate file from Sun's site and installing
it and I am overestimating any other issues.