[CentOS] Bind problem - rndc key (after update?)

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Nov 18 16:49:49 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 16:03 +0100, kadafax wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> here is what happened:
> today I noticed some resolution's problems on my network. I did a
> "service named status"  and here was the output:
> # /etc/init.d/named status
> rndc: connection to remote host closed
> This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of
> the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect,
> or the key is invalid.
>
> In the named's log, several entries like that:
> general: error: invalid command from 127.0.0.1#42033: bad auth
>
> I am not using the key's authentication on my chrooted bind dns and it
> was working great so far.
>
> Searching on rndc's files in /etc I've found mismatch for the key value
> in /etc/rndc.conf and /etc/rndc.key. There was also a rndc.key.rpmnew file.
> After giving the good value for the key entry (I've copied-pasted the
> value from the .key file), the bind daemon seems to be happy now.
>
> My question is how things get broken because I didn't touch the bind's
> config files for a year or so (only the zone files, sometime) ?

Search the Centos archives for a complete explanation. Basically, a
recent update changed the configurations (that's why you have an .rpmnew
file) so that your rndc keys no longer match.

After an update, it's always a good idea to updatedb and then locate
*.rpmnew and/or *.rpmsave.

The *potential* for the problem was reported *very* early after the 4.4
(?) update and those who watch the lists regularly avoided problems.

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill