[CentOS] file permissions and groups

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 07:34:23 UTC 2006

When I use the newgrp command, I do change to the apache group and it works.

Do you mean 'su - Michael'?

su - michael is actually interesting.  Before the su -, the output of the id
command shows that I'm only in group michael.  After the su -, it shows I'm
in both groups michael and apache.

Why is it that I'm in both groups after su -, and not while in a normal
xterm logging shell.  Also, I have the same problem of not being able to
access the file through the gnome desktop using File Browser (even though
I'm in group apache).

So, at a login shell doing su - works, both other options (xterm login shell
or desktop) do not.

Michael