[CentOS] Looking for assistance

Mark Schoonover schoon at amgt.com
Wed Nov 22 21:46:48 UTC 2006

Cian Cullinan wrote:
> On 11/22/06, Mark Schoonover <schoon at amgt.com> wrote:
>> Mondo is great, but there's another option. Take a look at
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l . I've used this on windows
>> system successfully, and it'll work great on CentOS.
>>

> This doesn't seem to do differential backups though, only full images?

Well, the way I configure my servers is that no data gets stored on an OS
partition. Once the server is built, I create an image of it, and store it
off on another machine. For any incremental changes, I use rsync to keep
track of changes for the entire system. So, if a drive should die, I can pop
in a new drive and restore with g4l. Then use the latest rsync backup to
restore all the changes. I've done this on several occasions, and it works
very well, even on systems with terabytes of data. The key is to keep data
and OS software on seperate partitions, or better yet, drives.

Thanks!

Mark Schoonover
IS Manager
American Geotechnical
V: 858-450-4040 - F: 714-685-3909 - C: 858-472-3816

"Stop the Earth!! I want off!!"