[CentOS] Looking for assistance

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 01:34:21 UTC 2006

On 23/11/06, System Admin <administrator at insurancejournal.com> wrote:
> We have about 5 servers spread out throughout the country: 2 Centos 4.4,
> 1 Red Hat and 2 windows machines- looking for some good ideas for a
> back-up solution. Our servers hold a lot of data, but only a small
> portion of it is crucial on any given day. That crucial portion is
> always changing (for example, this week the crucial files all relate to
> November- current and previous projects, and the next project in early
> December).
> What we need to have is a backup solution that would allow us to roll
> back to any given day (about four weeks of daily history). Bare-metal
> backups are a must.
>
> Our ideal solution would be to find someone who could design and
> implement a system for us. All ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Your best bet would be rsync on day one. Copy over the day one data to
another set called day two. Then rsync day two. Copy over to the set
day three and then rsync day three and so on...

Since rsync does differential transfer it would be fast and easy to
implement and to run from either the client server or backup server.

Plus since rsync works on top of ssh you can do key-only
authentication so that other logins are thwarted.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar