[CentOS] "undefined symbol: _pam_make_env"

Alexey Loukianov aloukianov at lavtech.ru
Sat Nov 25 02:24:21 UTC 2006

Здравствуйте, ness.

Вы писали 25 ноября 2006 г., 5:08:36:
> A while ago I downloaded and compiled PAM 0.99.x and installed it over
> the default CentOS PAM installation. Of course, this premature decision
> led to root and FTP access being fully locked down and inaccessible.
You're a bit risky, I wouldn't do than If I'd be on your place.

> Nov 24 19:57:07 ded sudo: PAM unable to
> dlopen(/lib/security/pam_stack.so)
> Nov 24 19:57:07 ded sudo: PAM [error: /lib/security/pam_stack.so:
> undefined symbol: _pam_make_env]
> Nov 24 19:57:07 ded sudo: PAM adding faulty module:
> /lib/security/pam_stack.so
It's obvious that you've got your PAM .so libs replaced with the ones
from PAM 0.99.x.

>   I've tried reinstalling PAM via yum, it's dependencies, and it's
> furthest dependencies with no apparent success. Does anyone know how
> this can be fixed without formatting the entire system?
Download and somehow place somewhere in the filesystem of broken
server following files from CentOS 4.4 distro:
pam-0.77-66.14.i386.rpm
util-linux-2.12a-16.EL4.16.i386.rpm

Reboot your system, provide your kernel with
init=/bin/bash
commandline.

Boot into, use
# /bin/rpm -Uvh --nodeps --replacefiles --replacepkgs --oldpackage pam-0.77-66.14.i386.rpm util-linux-2.12a-16.EL4.16.i386.rpm

Check the contents of /etc/pam.d, reboot.

If you're lucky enough you'll get a working system again.

--
С уважением,
 Alexey                          mailto:aloukianov at lavtech.ru