[CentOS] Re: Get error msg if try to use kernel makefile / build kernel

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 10:32:35 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes <mailing-lists at ...> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 15:33 +0000, MikeW wrote:
> > Using the new method for building a standalone kernel module
> > (although seems to happen with the traditional way as well)
> > I get "mach_mpspec.h: No such file or directory"
> >
> > Same result if I try to do a kernel 'make'.
> >
> > Subsequently I get MAX_MP_BUSSES and MAX_IRQ_SOURCES undeclared.
> >
> > This should surely work 'out of the box' with Centos ?
> >
> > Any ideas about what's missing ?
>
> You don't like the kernels I build ?

I have been out of driver development since late 2.4 and was unfamiliar
with the 'new' kernel module build procedure, which uses the kernel
build makefile ("make -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD) modules")
rather than just doing a gcc on the module with a few extra flags.

Hence did not know why I was getting an error in an apparently
'vanilla' build, which I thought should work with just the kernel
dir being specified.

I could see the file in question existed in another dir, but thought
it was not a true 'fix' to just add that path to the include paths.

I imagine I am missing something like an ARCH setting or something,
but have not seen anything documented about setting this.

I also note from Googling that others have had the same error,
(not necessarily with Centos, so it's not a distro problem)
but suggestions for them usually involved "install kernel source",
obviously not required in my case - in any case the headers should
suffice.

Thanks,
MikeW