[CentOS] Re: Any long-time CentOS users on list using Ubuntu as well?

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Tue Nov 28 19:22:17 UTC 2006

MikeW wrote:
> One WAMP package I used some time back had a limited automated self-test
> built in to the installation, so it displayed a list of working and
> non-working components, and since it was trying out underlying infrastructure
> as well, could give a good idea about what needed fixing.
>
> Sounds like a similar package test for desktop systems would find
> many takers ! Could build it into a distro so that installer-admins could
> be told what was broken in technical terms.

I got a chance to visit the site and it was simply a matter of broken
infrastructure.  The previous "helper" had "scotchtaped" together a
series of bargain basement hubs using a tangle of substandard homemade
crossover cables.  The fact that it worked at all for some short amount
of time is simply amazing.  The percentage of collisions must have been
pretty close to 100%.  Eventually, one of the $59 hubs failed (the one
their DSL modem happened to plug into).  I gave them an old catalyst
2900 I had laying around, ran some homeruns out to different work areas
and re-used some of the cheapo hubs.  Ubuntu seemed to work OK for them
though.  I don't think I'd choose to use it, but it seemed perfectly
functional for an M$ Office workstation replacement.

Cheers,