[CentOS] /usr/sbin/httpd: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/httpd: undefined symbol: apr_array_ma+e

Matty matty91 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:03:09 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, Ferdinando Santacroce <jesus_was_rasta at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Damn!
> Yesterday evening I leave my internal web server up and running.
> This morning I experienced a down, so I did some quickly check and I saw
> that Apache is down.
> Restarting I read this error message:
>
> /usr/sbin/httpd: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/httpd: undefined symbol:
> apr_array_ma+e

I am not sure why it's printing a "+" instead of a "k,", but that
symbol should actually be apr_array_make, which is defined in
libapr.so:

$ nm libapr-0.so.0.9.12 | grep apr_array_make
[718]   |     48020|        60|FUNC |GLOB |0    |10     |apr_array_make

Does the web server hang or does it exit? Do you see any errors in the
error_log? Are logfiles rotated around the time of the hang? Do you
see the apr_array_make symbol in libapr when the hang occurs?
Depending on the type of hang, you should be able to use mod_backtrace
(and possibly kill -s SIGABRT) to get a stack trace when the server
crashes. If you're interested in using mod_backtrace to debug the
hang, I documented how to use it in my Apache internals and debugging
presentation, which is  on my website:

http://prefetch.net

Thanks,
- Ryan