[CentOS] Re: hostname setting

Ian Anderson Ian.Anderson at clearwire.com
Wed Nov 29 22:20:03 UTC 2006

/etc/sysconfig/network is what assigns the hostname to your particular
server. This is also where CentOS writes the hostname when you initially
install the OS.

/etc/hosts provides a mechanism for mapping that hostname to an IP
address.  This is one of several ways to map ip's to hostnames.

I use /etc/sysconfig/network to "name" my machines and then enter that
value into /etc/hosts.   i.e.

/etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME="vpn-gateway"

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
10.0.0.1 vpn-gateway vpn-gateway.mydomain.com

the second entry is an "alias" to vpn-gateway.  If you were to ping
either one you would get a response from 10.0.0.1.

There is an order of operations that CentOS uses to resolve host names.
By default the first attempt is in the hosts file. If it doesn't find
anything there is will try DNS, if nothing is there it will try WINS,
and so on.  If you have a DNS server in your network you could add a
record to resolve vpn-gateway.mydomain.com to 10.0.0.1 and not fill in a
/etc/hosts value at all.  (Providing /etc/resolv.conf is setup to look
at that DNS server)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I understand to be
correct.