[CentOS] microcode_ctl

Wojtek.Pilorz wpilorz at bdk.pl
Thu Nov 30 07:44:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Denis Machard wrote:

> On vmware i have  i386 kernel and with HP server a x86_64 kernel
>
> > i'm running on vmware system and HP proliant DL360 G5 servers
> >

> > on wmware, on boot i have the following message:
> >
> > -----------------------------
> > Applying Intel Microcode update: don't know to make device "cpu/microcode"
> > [OK]
> > -----------------------------
> >
> > and on a HP proliant DL360 G5 server , on boot i have too the
> > following
> > message:
> >
> > -----------------------------
> > Applying Intel Microcode update: don't know to make device "cpu/microcode"
> > etc/rc3.d/S00microcode_ctl: microcode device /dev/cpu/microcode
> > doesn't exist?
> > [OK]
> >
> Do you have i686 kernel running (rather than i586) ?
> I had such message on Fedora Core 6 which installed i586 kernel on my PIII
> CPU.
>
> Wojtek

So i386 kernel does not create /dev/cpu/microcode as far as I know.
I do not know about x86_64 kernel, but file /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.9/Documentation/Changes
describes /dev/cpu/microcode under title 'Intel IA32 microcode'.
Also, it says that if udev is not used, you might need to make mkdir, mknod and chmod for the device.

Wojtek