[CentOS] Re: PCI unable to handle 64bit address space for

RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN luck at computerking.ca
Tue Oct 3 00:44:27 UTC 2006

----- Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN spake the following on 10/2/2006 1:04 PM:
> than
> >> you all in advance for your time and consideration.
> some
> >> used hardware.  There seems to be some hardware issuses and i am
> >> hoping nothing was damaged during shipping.  However i am in
> contact
> >> with intel and we are tring to figure out the exact problem via
> >> email.
> all
> >> the updates through the GUI.  I must say a GUI in Linux land is
> nice
> >> have been working mostly on old FreeBSD boxes none of which have
> GUI
> >> installed. Anyways the above mentioned hardware is this
> >> anyhow.
> >> firmware version 0006 (been meaning to update this to 00007 before
> >> go to production)

> >> further should i be installing the 64bit version of Centos on this
> >> machine?  Is there a 64 version of Centos? anyways any help or
> advice
> >> on this matter is greatly apprciated.
> >> would love some insight as to the was the BIOS error event codes
> that
> >> this machine keeps spiting out at me mean.
> >>>
> >> Could you have a 32 bit PCI card in a 64 bit slot?
> >> It should work, but I would suspect it is the promise card. You
> could
> >> try
> >> moving it about and see what happens.
> >
> > Umm it is a server board with full card hieght riser card plugged in
> to what i think is the 64 bit slot on the mainboard.  Howerver nothing
> is in any of the slots on the riser card.  There is also another
> halfhieght riser card that has the adaptec SCSI card plugged into it
> but that is all.
> >

> >> Also, I think that card has an onboard promise controller. So
> maybe
> >> try
> >> pulling the promise card, since nothing is attached.
> >
> > Pretty sure the promise controller is built into the mainboard as
> the only card i can see plugged in is the Adaptec 29160LP.  Cannot
> find a way to uplug or disable this card in the bios.
> >
> >> You could try any other cards that aren't needed to boot the
> system,
> >> adding
> >> them one at a time until you error again.
> > the  error is there with the onboard fasttrac card and the SCSI card
> but the SCSI card is needed to boot centos.  I also tried removing the
> full hieght riser card that had nothing pluged into it but still get
> the same error.
> >

> >> --
> >>
> >> MailScanner is like deodorant...
> >> You hope everybody uses it, and
> >> you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

> Looking at what looks to be the board you mention, both of the slots
> are
> PCI-X. Are the riser cards the proper ones for the board?
They came with the board fit very nice in the case almost positive these are the right risers.
> As for the scsi card, it looks to be a 64 bit pci card.
> Does the board have built-in scsi or IDE? Intel made versions with
> either.
built in IDE i think has a spot for a floppy and 1 ide also has two more ide guessing those are for the fasttrac tx2000
> Maybe you could boot from a live CD or floppy on the on-board
> controller, and
> see if it starts.

Not sure what you mean i know what a live boot CD is but would i not have to boot using a centos os to see if i can get the same error.

Just incase i did not make it clear before the system does boot centos OK it just pauses and spits out that error everytime.

 If the only card installed is the scsi card, then I
> would
> have to suspect it.

The SCSI card came with the sysetem as well think it was issued by intel but not sure.  The only other device in the system is the built in fasttrax and of course the 2 intel nics and a rage something video card everything is built in except the SCSI.  I am going to see if there is a firmware update to that card somewhere but doubt it will help. I have updated all of the other firmware on the board and chassis.

 The problem is the board is tying to map in a pci