[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Oct 4 12:35:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 at 4:23pm, Les Mikesell wrote

> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 13:49 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone done benchmarks on ext3 with the dir_index option?  I've
>>> used reiserfs in the past for better performance in creating and
>>> deleting many files on filesystems that handle maildir directories
>>> or for backuppc with it's millions of hardlinks, but perhaps ext3
>>> would works as well with the indexes enabled.
>

>> Where do you find this option, Les? I don't see it in the man page for
>> mount.
>
> It's a filesystem option, not a mount option.  Look at man tune2fs.

Also note that it's the default for FSs created by anaconda at install
time, but *not* (last I checked) a default for mke2fs.  To turn dir_index
on at mke2fs time, use the '-O dir_index' flag.

If you use tune2fs to add the option to an extant FS, then dir_index only
applies to new directories (i.e. created after you added the option).  To
retroactively apply it to the whole FS, you have to do the tune2fs and
then take the FS offline and run 'e2fsck -fD' on the device.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering