[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Wed Oct 4 12:53:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:58:27 +0800
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:

> Then there is their dependence on properly working hardware. Recently
> they have been talking about making reisefs more robust to hardware
> faults. So if your disk starts acting up, you might lose data or even
> your whole filesystem...

There was a nice paper published recently (at OLS or maybe I got the link from one of OLS presentations) about an "iron ext3", ext3 modified to withstand various data corruptions caused possibly by hardware failures. In there is also a nice table with comparisons on how different linux file systems stand up to those corruptions:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/adsl/Publications/iron-sosp05.pdf

Very good reading to anyone who's concerned about digital data storage.

Also, for discussion about cheap storage there's a mailing list called "linux-ide-arrays":
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide-arrays&r=1&w=2
Subscribe at http://lists.math.uh.edu/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr

But remember ... "Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick any two, you can't have all three" ... is even more true for storage than for anything else ;)

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org