[CentOS] Calling All FS Fanatics

Debbie Tropiano debbiet at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 4 15:14:57 UTC 2006

Kirk -

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 04:41:38PM -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Now that I've been enlightened to the terrible write performance of ext3 on
> my new 3Ware RAID 5 array, I'm stuck choosing an alternative filesystem. ...

There is a known problem with some 3Ware RAID cards and RH-type Linux OSes
(I can find the link, if you like).  We ran into that but discovered that
an upgrade to our RAID card (to the 9000 series) fixed it for us (but I've
seen reports of problems even with the 9000 series cards).

A while back we tried both XFS & JFS, but ran into kernel bugs with both
of them.  It may be that those bugs have been fixed, but it's worthwhile
knowing about it ahead of time.

I've not been following ReiserFS for a long time, but the last time I worked
with it (several years ago) we ran into problems with file corruption.  It
may be that they have all been fixed, but I'd look into that as well.

Good luck,
Debbie "who hasn't read the entire thread"
--
| Debbie Tropiano                            |  debbiet at arlut.utexas.edu   |
| Environmental Sciences Laboratory          |     +1 512 835 3367 w       |