[CentOS] whacked keyboard behavior CLI

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Oct 4 16:54:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 08:27 -0700, dnk wrote:
> Hi there --- for some reason I am getting really weird keyboard behavior
> on the CLI (no xfs or anything running). Centos 4.4 yummed up.
>
> For example if i type "root" to login, I get "rot" or sometimes
> "roooooot". Then other times I will have to press a key like 3 times to
> get a double character.

Acts the same with a different keyboard? If so, is there a possibility
that multiple processes are reading the keyboard at the same time? This
can cause apparent losses when a bg process with, e.g. &>somelogfile has
an interaction with user. You never see prompt, but it sucks a few
characters up.

> Now at first I thought maybe it was the keyboard, but it seems to work
> fine when within gnome.
>
> In all honesty I think i just have to get a different keyboard, but
> wanted to see if anyone had any experience with something like this
> (before I returned it) and a way to fix for the CLI. I have tried the
> kbdrate command.
>
> The keyboard is a wireless belkin with a usb connection.

Is it a "windows" keyboard? I have a wireless multi-media that needed
some adjustment with setkeys to get rid of aggravating messages. Check
the /var/log/message and see if there is anything helpful there.

For usb "I know nutting!" (Schultzy, "Hogan's Heroes")

> Thanks in advance.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--