[CentOS] 2TB limit, weird mounting issues on reboot

W S

ws3reg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 04:31:23 UTC 2006

Greetings,

I'm seeing some weird issues surrounding the 2 terabyte limit on my 3ware
(9590SE, PCI Express model) raid controller.  Currently, the raid array is 6
x 500GB disks for a total of around 2.3 terabytes formatted. Looking at the
documentation on the 3ware site, the raid card can handle a single partition
over 2TB, but it still looks like fdisk fails to create a primary partition
over the 2TB limit.  I did resort to parted, and it creates a partition over
2TB.  And, in fact, I can run mke2fs on this partition, and mount it.  I
also have an entry for this partition in the /etc/fstab file.

However, if I reboot the system, the partition fails to mount from the init
scripts.  If I comment out the /etc/fstab line, and run a mount command from
rc.local, that works; however, the partition is now seen as a 259GB
partition, and not the 2.3TB I originally had to start.  I have the feeling
the partition table is getting hosed on a reboot.  Fdisk seems to handle the
partition on the raid array just fine if it is a hair under 2TB, and from
all the things I've read, it seems fdisk and other disk utilities still have
real problems with partitions greater than 2TB (32-bit x 512-byte blocks,
etc).

I guess I'm shocked.  I figured this wouldn't be an issue as of 2006, but it
still is..... anyone have any similar experiences?  If so, any workarounds
other than just stay at the 2TB limit?

Regards,
Will