[CentOS] transfer data from one hard drive to another

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Fri Oct 6 18:35:31 UTC 2006

On Oct 6, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Joseph Cheng wrote:

> Hello I have an OS installation and data on a 40 gb drive that I would
> like to image to a 80 gb drive. I don't care if the resulting
> partition layout on the new drive is only 40 gb making me lose space.
> I just want to move everything from the older drive because I think
> it's failing. I have looked at partimage and mondo rescue as imaging
> solutions but both deal with partitions. CAn someone plz point me to a
> howto that shows how to image the entire drive incuding mbr, partiton
> table and data all with one program? I am hoping to boot with a CD to
> do this while having both drives plugged in. So I think something like
> knoppix? TIA!

1) install second drive
2) boot into knoppix
3) dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb obs=4096

this assumes /dev/hda is the 40gb drive and /dev/hdb is the 80gb;
change device names as appropriate.  the dd command will give you no
output (unless a problem occurs) and will probably take a while.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v