[CentOS] x84_64 distro: Really worth it ?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon Oct 9 16:04:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 at 12:31pm, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote

> I have so far avoided using the x86_64 distro, sticking to 32 bits on all
> my servers.
>
> My question for all using the 64bits distro is: is it really worth it ?
> What kind of applications are you running, and what kind of _real_
> gain did you have ?
>
> Note: All my servers are 2GB RAM or less.

As usual, it depends.  All my cluster nodes are x86_64, and I've seen
anywhere from 10-50% performance gains with some codes going from i386 to
x86_64.  These are mostly commercial codes -- FEM (LS-DYNA) and Matlab.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering