[CentOS] HELP: CentOS box won't shutdown

Jay Chandler chandler at chapman.edu
Tue Oct 10 07:42:51 UTC 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 12:29 AM, Clive Gould wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a mission critical Dell rackmount server.
>
> I tried to reboot it via an ssh session and it just kept running!
>

> The command I used was:
>
> [root at vle tmp]# shutdown -r now
>
> Broadcast message from root (pts/0) (Tue Oct 10 08:28:44 2006):
>
> The system is going down for reboot NOW!
>

> Looking at /var/log/messages it says:
>
> Oct 10 08:28:44 vle shutdown: shutting down for system reboot
>

> But the server just keeps on running!!!
>
> I have an identical hot backup box and it happily rebooted this
> morning.
>
> Any suggestions most welcome...
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Did you try the reboot command?

Failing that, does the shutdown -h work?

There's always the "kill power" option, but that's not recommended
for the health of your disks...
--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University
714-628-7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
"Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with /etc/sendmail.cf, "it never
does quite what I want.  I wish Christopher Robin was here." -- Peter
Da Silva in a.s.r.