[CentOS] NTP and hardware clock

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Oct 11 17:46:23 UTC 2006

Dag Wieers wrote:
> The whole point of ntpdate is to synchronize the local clock with another
> source (ie. not the local clock).

Yes, I understand that. I've always seen the use of the local clock as a
'fudge', if you will. From NTP's point of view, the battery-driven quartz
clock on the motherboard is just one many possible time sources.

One more thing, have you checked the time set in the local clock? NTP will
give up if it is more than about an hour different from your time sources.
Although I don't think it should hang...