[CentOS] Server hangs initializing audio

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Oct 11 18:35:18 UTC 2006

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
> > I have a server that frequently hangs while rebooting.  I see no
> > errors, but during the boot process it stops at this stage:
> >
> >     Initializing hardware... storage network audio
> >
> > The cursor sits just after the word "audio" and I have to do a hard
> > reset to get out of it.
>
> The boot message is a red herring, it really doesn't have anything to
> do with the audio.
>
> It *might* have something to do with ACPI ... search the CentOS list
> archives for a thread with the subject "CentOS 4.2 hangs at power-on
> boot" from February 2006.  I had the same problem, and in fact still
> do, though now it's intermittent.

Right.  We've already determined that it has finished loading the
audio by the time it prints it.  The problem must be with something
else that loads afterwards.

I have added some debugging output to /etc/rc.sysinit so that it
prints the names of the other misc things it loads after audio.  The
next time it happens, I'll have a better idea of what causes it.

--
Bowie