[CentOS] Multiple Instances of Apache on the same IP

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Fri Oct 13 09:01:11 UTC 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 17:09, leonel at enelserver.com wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm trying to run multiple instances ( 2 ) of Apache on a single IP
> > address. I need this because I need the two instances to run as
> > different users.
> >
> > I've set up two config files with the following:
> >

> >    config-1                                        config-2
> >
> > ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"                  ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"
> > Listen 10.220.1.156:80                  Listen 10.220.1.156:8080
> > Include conf.d/*.conf                      Include conf.d/*.conf
> > User apache                                   User backuppc
> > Group apache                                Group backupp
> > DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"    DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
> >
> > When I start either apache it works but when I try to start both the
> > second one doesn't start.
> >
> > Error Message:
> >
> > When I start config-1 first and then config-2 I get the following
> > error message
> >
> > Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind
> > to address 0.0.0.0:443
> > no listening sockets available, shutting down
> > Unable to open logs
> >

> > When I start config-2 first and the config-1 I get nothing.
> >

> > I suspect the problem is loading the SSL module which in both cases
> > is trying to listen on port 443. So short of removing the ssl.conf
> > file from conf.d or creating duplicate conf.d directories one without
> > the ssl.conf file is there anyway to do this.
> >

> The problem is that
> You CAN'T  have 2 ssl  configs for the same  ip and  port because SSL
> requiers  to send you the certificate   BEFORE  it starts sending data
> so the SSL can't know which certificate for wich server  send
>
> you can put the  second  SSL  on another port
>

> Leonel

Thanks to all who replied. The problem as was pointed out on the list and
as I suspected was in the ssl conf file which couldn't be loaded into
both instances because of the conflicting ssl port 443. So what I did was
duplicate the conf.d directory for config-2 and change the ssl port and
then load the different cond.d directories into the two instances.

Thanks,

Tony