[CentOS] Re: migrating servers (advice)

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Oct 13 20:39:52 UTC 2006

Ajay Sharma spake the following on 10/13/2006 11:42 AM:

> Hi,
>
> I'm about to copy the contents of one server onto another.  The "plan"
> that I've come up with is:
>
> 1) boot the new server with a live disc, partition accordingly
>
> 2) a big tar-over-ssh for the /boot, and root partitions (that's all
> there is)
>
> 3) adjust the fstab so that it'll find the new scsi partitions vs. the
> old ATA ones.
>
> 3) then chroot into the new system and run grub to initialize the
> bootloader.
>
> I'm switching a server from a single HD to a SCSI mirror on our new
> machine.  So it has a different partition setup and I don't want to mess
> with resizing.
>
> Does that sound about right to get the machine booted?  I'm sure there
> will be some other minor things but I can sort that out once I get the
> data over and the machine booted.
>
> --Ajay

If it boots from a different type of drive, you will have to re-create the
initrd's. Might be a good idea anyway. You can usually insmod any drivers you
need and the mkinitrd script "usually" puts them in the initrd.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and