[CentOS] Proper partition/LVM growth after RAID migration

Christian Wahlgren

christian.wahlgren at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 17:14:53 UTC 2006

Hi

This topic is perhaps not for this list, but it I'm running on a
CentOS 4.4 and it seems that a lot of people here uses 3Ware and RAID
volumes.

I did a RAID migration on a 3Ware 9590SE-12, so that an exported disk
grew from 700GB to 1400GB. The exported disk is managed by LVM. The
problem now is that I don't really know what to do now to let LVM and
my locigal volume to make use of this new disk size, and probably
future disk size growth.

I initially imagined that I could let the physical partition grow and
then the LVM PV, the LV and the FS (ext3) to grow to fill up the new
exported disk size. Then I realized that this is not how LVM is
designed - you add PVs and let the LV and FS to grow.

But, what if the underlying exported disk from a RAID card is growing
as you add disks to it's RAID volume? Should you create new physical
partitions on the exported disk, and specifically, extended
partitions, since you might in the future add more than 4 partitions?

Secondly, it seems there is a problem after this migration: The
graphical LVM shows that I have an "Unpartitioned space" on the
exported disk, but I can't click on "Initialize entry" button. The
property window on the right says: "Not initializable: Partition
manually".

parted shows only one partition:

[root at acrux ~]# parted /dev/sdb print
Disk geometry for /dev/sdb: 0.000-1430490.000 megabytes
Disk label type: msdos
Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags
1          0.000 715245.000  primary               lvm

fdisk in expert mode (x) shows that partition 2-4 fields are all zeros.

Should I now make a lvm partition in an extended partition in parted,
and then hopefully, the graphical LVM will be able to add the new
physical partition to my logical volume, and then resize my  fs
(ext3)?

Thanks in advance for any input on this,
Christian