[CentOS] CentOS 2.1 on i586

Kevin K k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 15 21:20:32 UTC 2006

On Oct 15, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> I've just attempted to reinstall my ancient laptop that has Pentium
> MMX processor.  Since it is ancient, I've decided to go with CentOS
> 2.1. Got stuck, installer claims I need at least i686.  Hmmm...  I
> know that 3.8 and 4.4 work without a glitch on i586, so this came
> as surprise.  I even thing original RHEL2.1 might had support for
> i586 too (but I might be wrong).
>
> Anyhow, what happened with i586 in CentOS 2.1?

RHEL 2.1 and later, to my knowledge, do not install on anything older
than i686.  When I needed to install RHEL 2.1 on one of these
systems, I had to temporarily install on newer hardware, replace the
GLIBC, SSL, etc with their 386 equivalents.  Since we weren't using a
RH kernel, we just placed ours compiled for 486 onto the disk, backed
it up, and was able to run it on older hardware.

I may have seen postings about CentOS being compiled for older
hardware, but I haven't looked it up, or tried it myself, since my
own hardware I've run Centos on is newer than that.